Windows 2000/XP fails to boot after replacing a motherboard

October 30th, 2005 by Jim


Why does Windows 2000/XP fail to boot after replacing my motherboard? Windows 98 used to be okay with this…


I think this is an ACPI issue. When Windows is installed, it appears to configure the exact ACPI driver needed for booting. This is probably done so ACPI detection is not needed on bootup, which would noticeably increase the boot time. If you change the motherboard to a different make/model, there are slim chances that the replacement board will require the same ACPI driver. The end result is either a successful boot (good ACPI driver) or a BSOD (bad ACPI driver).

Read the rest of this entry »

Removing the “My Bluetooth Places” desktop icon

October 23rd, 2005 by Jim

My Bluetooth Places IconA few months ago, I decided to add Bluetooth to my computer so I could use my mobile phone’s Bluetooth headset with games that support in-game chat and other VoIP applications. I purchased a USB Bluetooth adapter, installed the provided software, and was very pleased with it overall. However, I was surprised to find that the installer dropped a “My Bluetooth Places” icon on the desktop that could not be removed.

Is Bluetooth so important that it needs to be accessable 24×7 from a location that I try to keep as clean as possible? I think not…

Read the rest of this entry »

My homemade computer case

October 15th, 2005 by Jim

If you are reading my blog, then there is probably a good chance you have built your own computer before. But have you ever built your own computer case? I did. Was it worth it? Oh yeah… 😀

Note: I built this computer mid-2002, so the specs are very low by today’s standards.

Read the rest of this entry »

How-to: “svn update --dry-run”

October 12th, 2005 by Jim

My company uses Subversion to manage several websites. When using a version control system to manage live websites, it is absolutely critical to first verify that an update to the code will not conflict with local modifications. Code conflicts will effectively break a website, leading to downtime and unnecessary embarassment.

What we need is a --dry-run flag for Subversion’s update command, but at the time of this writing, Subversion does not offer any such flag. Instead, we invent a clever workaround using the merge command, which does offer the --dry-run flag.

Read the rest of this entry »

Personal firewall software interfering with your games?

October 2nd, 2005 by Jim

Many of us now run personal firewall software. Unfortunately, a common problem with firewall software arises when used in conjunction with games and other full-screen applications. It appears to the user that the computer is frozen, while in fact the installed personal firewall is questioning if the game should be allowed to connect to the Internet.

Read the rest of this entry »

Hiding Drive Letters

September 24th, 2005 by Jim

Sometimes it is useful to hide or deny access to drive letters in My Computer and the Windows Explorer. This is often desired if you have a swap partition or scratch partition that you do not want in the way, or when a multi card reader creates drive letters you simply will not be using. Or maybe you just have something to hide… 🙂

There are two ways to achieve this goal. The first method is easier and limited, while the second method is powerful and considerably more complicated.

Read the rest of this entry »

Multiple downloads, the easy way

August 25th, 2005 by Jim

Have you ever needed to download many files from a single webpage, but found it too cumbersome (click, save as, click, save as, etc…)? This is commonly the case if you want to save all pictures in a gallery, or need to download an archive that has been split into multiple parts.

Read the rest of this entry »

Accessing the “Security” tab in Windows XP Home

August 24th, 2005 by Jim

Windows XP Home is a nice cheaper alternative to Windows XP Professional. The differences between XP Home and Pro are mostly business-oriented concepts, so I generally recommend XP Home for anyone who does not need to logon to a Windows domain. Simple enough…

However, the major drawback for using XP Home is the lack of control over the file permissions. 90% of the people that I recommend XP Home to will never notice the difference. For the remaining 10% who wonder why saving money on Windows XP means loosing a very crucial feature of any modern OS, there is hope for you!

Read the rest of this entry »

Jim’s blog…

August 24th, 2005 by Jim

I am starting a blog, likely devoted to answering technology questions I get asked frequently.

Wish me luck… 🙂

Read the rest of this entry »